I recently bought an Amazon Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote, I am an Amazon Prime member and have been using their Prime Video on my Laptop but wanted to be able to watch films with the wife and family on the TV. Our JVC smart TV doesn’t support Amazon Prime Video (a review of the JVC Smart TV to follow!).
I ordered the Fire TV Stick with a voice remote, it cost £44.99 compared to £34.99 without the voice remote and arrived the next day as promised. In the box is the TV stick, power adapter, Voice remote, 2 x AAA Batteries and a HDMI Adapter. The HDMI Adapter allows you to attach it to a lead so you can access it easier rather than struggling behind the TV. The TV stick is powered by a mini USB so if you have a spare USB slot on your TV, you could power it with that.
Because our TV is on the wall, I used a HDMI cable, the stick is slightly larger than the HDMI cable so if things are tight, you’ll need to do this. Also allows for easy access to remove it and take it to another room or take it away with you on holiday! I plugged it in and selected the “input” source on the TV and there it was! Already to go as my account was pre-installed but you can change the account in the “Settings” in the menu option. I followed the instructions supplied and pressed the “Home” button on the remote for 10 seconds to link the remote. PROBLEM – the remote/stick didn’t respond! I unplugged & plugged the power back in and it worked!
Navigation is easy by the circle at the top of the remote, nice positive click when you press it. I went into the “Network” options, selected my wifi network and entered the Passkey, I am now connected wirelessly. As it’s linked to your Amazon Prime account, your watch list is there, I first went into the Apps section and added Netflix, YouTube and BBCNews also available is UKTV, BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4OD, 5 on demand, Flixster and tons of others.
There are also a lot of games, some of which are linked to Facebook so if that’s your thing, you can buy a Game Pad too.
Buffering while watching a film hasn’t happen on Amazon, it’s happened a couple of times on Netflix and YouTube but that could be down to my connection I think!
The Voice Control works well when searching for films or actors.
One criticism, there is no power button so it is always on unless you unplug it.
New – Fire TV Stick now includes a voice remote. Simply speak into your remote to find TV shows, movies and games.
- Just plug in and start streaming in minutes. Take it from room to room and turn your HDTVs into streaming media centres.
- Amazon Prime members get unlimited access to Prime Video, including original programming such as Transparent, plus over 1 million songs with Prime Music.
- Tens of thousands of TV episodes and movies, from Amazon Video, Netflix, BBC iPlayer and more, plus games, music and apps.
- 8 GB of storage and 1 GB of memory, plus a dual-core processor for fast streaming and smooth performance.
- No more buffering – ASAP learns what Amazon movies and TV episodes you like and buffers them for playback so they start right away.
- Great for casual gaming, too – Play favourite titles such as Crossy Road, Sonic The Hedgehog 2, Hill Climb Racing and more.